HomeCalendarFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NismoWI

PostSubject: front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed   Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:02 pm

So far me and my buddy have searched sr20forum and the dash. The car shakes violently from the front end around 60mph and up. So far these are the things we checked.
Wheel bearings
tie rods
tires/wheels
new control arm and checked the other
all bushings
brakes
motor mounts
and checked all the front end/subframe/crossmember hardware
new suspension/strut mounts
He took it to a shop and had an alignment done. The dude said that one of the outer tie rods was a little bad-but there is no front to back movement. The rack seems to be leaking ps fluid by the inner tie rod boot. Also the camber on the right side -1.9, left side -0.6 for some reason? The previous owner obviously hit something as one the pass. side the fender weas replaced, the inner tie rob is bent slightly. We really dont want to have to buy a rack or new axles if that is not the problem you know?
Back to top Go down
Big Ben
Admin

PostSubject: Re: front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed   Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:16 pm

Did you have the tires balanced? It sounds like a tire issue. What does the tread of all the tires look like? If you look at it and it is all straight and then you have a wavy/different looking tread pattern in a section it could be a broken belt.
Back to top Go down
NismoWI

PostSubject: Re: front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed   Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:29 am

We swapped the rims from my buddys nx with good tread and are balenced right for sure and don't shake on his car at all but mine still shook.
Back to top Go down
Big Ben
Admin

PostSubject: Re: front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed   Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:55 pm

Well the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the inner tie rods, change them or the rack.
Back to top Go down
200sx se-r kid

PostSubject: Re: front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed   Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:03 pm

what did you find out bro
Back to top Go down
NismoWI

PostSubject: Re: front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed   Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:25 pm

Still workig on it cuz I am a bit broke but realized that one of my axles had a weight And the other didn't so I think that's my problem. Ordered remanufactured one which I'll get tomorrow and I'll decently post what the final result is
Back to top Go down
200sx se-r kid

PostSubject: Re: front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed   Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:18 pm

an axle had a weight on it hmmm. u gget some pics?
Back to top Go down
nismos13silvia

PostSubject: Re: front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed   Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:57 am

Axle(s) is what I was leaning towards. My co-work once had a problem kind of like that. He said the inner joints of the axle were bad. Boot is self wasn't ripped. So, you couldn't see it. But, after he replaced the axle. Problem went away.

Not sure of axle having a weight on it???

Let us know what it is?
Back to top Go down
NismoWI

PostSubject: Re: front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed   Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:27 am

yea It feels like an unbalanced tire but isn't. I have replace almost every thing. I have read on the forum that people have problems with axles that don't have the counter weight in them. my driver side doesn't but my pass. does. I know you can get them form O' reilly auto parts for $60. I had to order them. I will most likely putting it in tonight and will let you know the out come.
Back to top Go down
insane imports

PostSubject: Re: front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed   Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:03 pm

Your tires arent too worn out are they? One of them could have a broken cord or belt which causes all kinds of vibrations.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/insaneimport2000
NismoWI

PostSubject: Re: front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed   Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:15 pm

I put different rims tires off my friends car that are band new and just balenced 1hr before and it still shook. My tires are fine.
Back to top Go down
BORNGEARHEAD

PostSubject: Re: front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed   Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:04 pm

I had a B13 that had a vibration under hard accel and it ended up being the inner joint on the axle. I replaced both axles and problem was gone.
Back to top Go down
NismoWI

PostSubject: Re: front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed   Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:18 pm

It virbrates when u hit higher speeds. It shakes 60+ I got 2 new referb. Axles with counter weights
Back to top Go down
nismos13silvia

PostSubject: Re: front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed   Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:57 pm

Still doing it? Strange?
Back to top Go down
NismoWI

PostSubject: Re: front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed   Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:43 pm

Haven't done it yet
Back to top Go down

front end shaking/shimmy/vibration at highway speed

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next